Tips for surgery, IV’s
Below are suggestions from people with SED, SMD, and Kniest. Ask your medical provider if these could help:
- Some people with SED, SMD, and Kniest report having trouble in hospitals with IV’s being inserted. Try a smaller ‘butterfly’ needle first, then insert the larger needle after the person is put asleep for surgery.
- Ask for a tranquilizer before being taken to surgery. The relaxation helps the IV get started.
- Ask for anti-vomit medication in the IV when you are waking up from surgery. Unless you specifically ask for it, you will not get it.
- KSG Halo Cast page has tips on caring for a child in a halo cast.
- KSG Pain Management page has information on pain management from people with Kniest, Spondylometaphyseal Dysplasia, and Spondylepiphyseal Dyspalsia dwarfism.