Information about back care, issues specific to KSG, and prevention
- http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/orthopedicsurgery/scoliosis.html A Patient’s Guide to Scoliosis written by John’s Hopkins Medical Staff. Clearly and simply written, with helpful pictures.
- Spine and Spinal Cord Problems in Bone Dysplasias by Dr. Richard M. Pauli, M.D., Ph.D. This is a good article for both patients and medical providers. Written in simple English with many examples (1992). http://www.lpo.on.ca/SPINEANDCORD.HTM
- Neck Disorders In Little People by Dr. George S. Bassett, M.D. A short introduction to neck problems common to people with skeletal dysplasias (bone growth problems). Written in simple English. :http://www.lpo.on.ca/NECKDISORDERS.HTM
- Little People of America Medical Resource Center page on Back Care
- Little People of America Medical Resource Center Scoliosis Links
- http://www.nof.org/ the National Osteoporosis Foundation, a non-profit foundation dedicated to finding a cure for Osteoporosis.
Back and Neck Pain
- Search Adaptive Living Page for things to buy to make life easier on your back!.
- http://www.painreliever.com/lowbackpain.html Many products for relieving back pain.
- http://www.vax-d.com/ a web page about alternative care for low-back pain.
- KSG Pain Management – tips from parents and kids on managing pain.
Spinal Injury Links
- Comprehensive Injury Information Network: http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu
- http://www.spine-health.com/ contains a lot of specialty information about back care, surgery options, and alternative therapies.
- http://spineuniverse.com/ a site for with articles, links, and information for medical professionals, parents and people with spinal conditions. There is information about pain management, finding a good office chair, anatomy, and information about both surgical and non surgical techniques.
- Scoliosis Research Society information about scoliosis: lists of doctors, reference books, and more.
- http://www.scoliosis-world.com. An excellent site about scoliosis, with many interesting articles and suggestions for exercises. This site keeps with up current literature and posts recent articles.
- http://www.scoliosis.org/. A good site about scoliosis. Has basic information and an on-line catalog of books, videos, and a scoliometer to measure spinal curvature.
- http://www.scoliosis-assoc.org/. A helpful site that has information in both Spanish and English. The site also sells videos, has link to a great many other sites, and lists events related to treating scoliosis. A very useful site.
- http://www.scoi.com/scoilio.htm This website links to doctor groups specializing in scoliosis. It has some good general information.
Science Articles about back problems and people with Kniest, SED, and SMD
- Cervical spine disorders in children by Herman MJ, Pizzutillo PD published in Orthop Clin North Am. 1999 Jul;30(3):457-66, ix.
- A journal article about spine/back problems common in people with skeletal dysplasias, Spinal deformity in short-stature syndromes by Tolo VT. Published in Instr Course Lect. 1990;39:399-405: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2186130&dopt=Abstract
Information about back Braces and Halo Casts
- Tips by KSG parents and children about caring for a child in a Halo Cast. Read this page if you child will be in a halo cast.
- Shriner’s Hospital Scoliosis Brace Information
- http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/orthopedicsurgery/bracing.html Johns Hopkins site on back braces.
- KSG Pain Management page Tips by parents and children with Kniest and SED to manage pain.
- Money to pay for health care